Thursday 21 August 2014

HOW TO GET FIT DURING NAP TIME | CARROT & APPLE CAKE




Carrot and Apple Cake

Hiya! As I said last time. Despite trying to be good, I can't resist a piece of cake from time to time. I try to bake my own so that I can tweak recipes to make it as healthy as possible.  This recipe was originally just apple but I've morphed it to include more good stuff (sometimes I even chuck a courgette in too) and good fats.

Ingredients:
2 apples
1 large carrot
30g of raisins*or other dried fruit
50g of coconut oil
50g of butter/spread
100g of caster sugar (or you can sub in agave but use a bit less as its sweet- last time I did 40g sugar 30g agave)
2 eggs
175g sr flour (or plain and 1tsp of baking powder)
1 tsp of baking powder
30g desiccated coconut (optional but lush)
Ive also done 25g less flour and added 25g milled flax before for omega 3s and fibre
1tsp of cinnamon (I wack in 2 but I LOVE cinnamon)
Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
Grease and line cake tin (I'm lazy and just whack in baking parchment for a 'rustic loaf')
Cream butter, coconut oil and sugar together

Grate apple and carrot (or chop in a food processor). Peel if you like but I leave the skin on for more fibre and add to mixture

Add in raisins and eggs and mix well

Add in flour, baking powder, desiccated coconut and cinnamon and mix well.

Spoon into tins - my mixture normally makes either 1 large loaf or a smaller loaf and 6 muffins

Cook until golden brown- muffins take 20-25 mins
Loaf takes approximately 45 minutes.

It's lovely the next day as it goes squishy and a bit stodgier (in a good way!) and keeps for a few days in a tin.  I often freeze it in slices so that I can whip it out if people come over or I want a treat but can't trust myself not to eat a whole cake!
Obviously this isn't 'completely clean'. I will try it one day with just agave and coconut oil and feedback but would love to hear any other ideas for 'cleaning it up'.
Do you have any other 'clean cake' recipes?
Helen x

* i LOVE this recipe. Great for my increasingly fussy toddler too! I'll adapt this to a vegan recipe if anyone is interested. Also, I've been using coconut sugar & it is AMAZING! Kaya X 





No comments:

Post a Comment